Perfectly balanced between sweet and savory, this homemade baked beans recipe goes well with your favorite grilled foods. This thick and hearty meal is the perfect side dish to bring to summer parties, family gatherings, and barbecue events. If you’ve never cooked baked beans with carobs before, we assure you that after making this, it might become your go-to recipe.
Homemade Baked Beans
- 2 1/2 cups (500 gms) dried cannellini, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 pc large onion, diced
- 3 garlic, chopped
- 700 gms bottle Passata (tomato puree)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 2 tbsps liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1/2 tbs dry tumeric
- 1 tbs The Australian Carob Co. Roasted Carob Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 package vegetable bacon
- sea salt
- fresh parsley, chopped
- sliced sourdough bread, toasted
Preheat the oven to 160oC (150oC fan-forced/ 300 oC).
Rinse and drain soaked beans with cold water. Place beans in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Drain.
Heat oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole over a low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook for 10 minutes until onion is tender. Add passata, carob syrup, liquid aminos, lemon juice, bay leaves, tumeric, carob powder, spices and vegetable stock, stirring to combine. Add drained cooked beans and bring to the boil.
- Cut vegetable bacon into 1" pieces
Place vegetable bacon on top of the beans, cover tightly and place casserole in preheated oven for 3-4 hours or until beans are tender.
Remove bay leaves from casserole and check seasoning, adjusting accordingly.
Serve baked beans on toast with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.