Bake a classic layered Carob Spiced Carrot Cake recipe from The Australian Carob Co, complete with pistachios, orange zest, and a tangy cream cheese frosting.
Carob Spiced Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups (350 gms) coarsely grated carrot (approx. 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/3 cup (35 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted Carob Powder
- 1 cup (220 gms) raw caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (115 gms) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 2 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (70g) pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 egg replacers
- 2 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 3/4 cup (210 gms) soy yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
ORANGE AND CARDAMOM CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 8 oz (250 gms) vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (160 gms) icing sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest finely grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced/350°F) and line 2 x 20 cm (8”) round springform cake tins with baking paper.
For the cake, combine grated carrot, flour, carob powder, sugar, coconut, almond meal, aluminum-free baking powder, aluminum-free baking soda, spices and pistachios together in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well-combined.
In a large jug combine oil, egg replacer, zests, soy yogurt and carob syrup together, whisking until well-combined.
Pour over the carrot mixture, stirring until well combined. Evenly divide cake batter between prepared cake tins and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the centre of each cake cleanly. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
For the icing, combine all ingredients together in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
To serve, place one cake on a cake plate or stand. Spoon half the icing on top, spreading evenly. Place remaining cake on top and spoon remaining icing on top, spreading evenly.