Carob Tacos, anyone? This tofu carob mole with soft tacos and cherry tomato salsa recipe is a healthier spin on traditional tacos — and it is just as good, if not better.
Carob Tofu Mole Soft Tacos and Cherry Tomato Salsa Recipe
CHICKEN CAROB MOLE
- 1/2 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 package non-gmo tofu cut into strips
- 1 pc large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 pcs garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pc green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 2 tsps ground hot smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 cup (25 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (70 g) roasted almond butter
- 13.5 oz (400 gms) tin diced tomatoes
- 3 Chipotle chilis in Adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsps The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- Himalayan pink salt
CHERRY TOMATO SALSA
- 8.8 oz (250 gms) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pc long red chili, deseeded (optional) and finely chopped
- 1/2 pc small red onion, finely diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, deseeded (optional) and finely diced
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- salt flakes
- 1 packet ready-made soft corn tortillas
- 50 gms goats feta, crumbled
- coriander sprigs, extra
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over a medium-high heat. Add tofu strips and brown on all sides, remove from pan and place on a plate until required. Reduce heat to low.
Add remaining oil to pan with onion, garlic, chillies, spices and carob powder, stirring until well combined. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add stock, almond butter, tomatoes, chipotle chillies and oregano, stirring until combined. Return chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and place on a plate to cool for 5 minutes before using two forks shred.
Meanwhile using a stick blender puree sauce until smooth. Add carob syrup and season with salt, stirring to combine. Return tofu strips to sauce, stirring until well-coated.
For the salsa, combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring to combine.
Serve tofu carob mole with soft corn tortillas, salsa, feta and coriander sprigs.